I wasn't sure how the kids would respond to an hour of lining up 165 tiny tiles on a 12 inch by 12 inch mesh square so I had a second project for the students. They made bracelets out of toilet paper rolls, string, ribbon, crafting duct tape and washi tape. I loved to see the difference in bracelet styles the kids came up with. Art is so good for kids and adults. I read a great article in the Harvard Review that mentioned how art can help students learn the value of deceleration and immersive attention. It may take some kids a little longer to settle into a project but it is very gratifying to see them concentrating, enjoying, and creating once they focus. Most of the kids chose to do both projects.
Saturday, July 11, 2015
My Art Class and the Kanab Art Council Project
I wasn't sure how the kids would respond to an hour of lining up 165 tiny tiles on a 12 inch by 12 inch mesh square so I had a second project for the students. They made bracelets out of toilet paper rolls, string, ribbon, crafting duct tape and washi tape. I loved to see the difference in bracelet styles the kids came up with. Art is so good for kids and adults. I read a great article in the Harvard Review that mentioned how art can help students learn the value of deceleration and immersive attention. It may take some kids a little longer to settle into a project but it is very gratifying to see them concentrating, enjoying, and creating once they focus. Most of the kids chose to do both projects.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment