I didn't write this but found it on Facebook and liked it!
Carrots, Eggs, Or Coffee
A young woman went to her Grandmother
and told her about her life and how things were so hard for her. She did
not know how she was going to make it and wanted to give up. She was tired of fighting and struggling.
Her Grandmother took her to the kitchen. She filled three pots with
water. In the first she placed carrots, in the second she placed eggs,
and in the last she placed ground coffee beans.
She let them
sit and boil without saying a word. In about twenty minutes she turned
off the burners. She fished the carrots out and placed them in a bowl.
She pulled the eggs out and placed them in a bowl. Then she ladled the
coffee out and placed it in a bowl.
Turning to her Granddaughter, she asked, "Tell me, what do you see?" "Carrots, eggs, and coffee," she replied.
She brought her closer and asked her to feel the carrots. She did and
noted that they were soft and mushy. She then asked her to take an egg
and break it. After pulling off the shell, she observed the hardened
egg. Finally, she asked her to sip the coffee.
The daughter
smiled as she tasted its deep flavor and inhaled its rich aroma. The
daughter then asked, "What's the point, Grandma?"
Her
Grandmother explained that each of these objects had faced the same
adversity - boiling water - but each reacted differently. The carrot
went in strong, hard and unrelenting. However, after being subjected to
the boiling water, it became weak. The egg had been fragile. Its thin,
outer shell had protected its liquid interior. But, after sitting
through the boiling water, its inside became hardened.
The ground coffee beans were unique, however. After they were in the boiling water they had changed the water.
"Which are you?" she asked her Granddaughter. "When adversity knocks on
your door, how do you respond? Are you a carrot, an egg, or a coffee
bean?"
Think of this: Which am I? Am I the carrot that seems
strong? But with pain and adversity, do I wilt and lose my strength? Am I
the egg that starts with a fluid spirit but, after death, a breakup, a
financial hardship or some other trial, I become hardened and stiff?
Does my shell look the same, but on the inside am I bitter and tough
with a stiff spirit and a hardened heart? Or am I like the coffee bean?
The bean actually changes the hot water - the very circumstance that
brings the adversity, the pain, the hardship – into something quite
wonderful. When the water gets hot, it releases it's fragrance and
flavor. If you are like the bean, when things are at their worst, you
get better, and change the situation around you for the better.
When the hours are the darkest and trials are their greatest do you elevate to another level? How do you handle adversity?
ARE YOU A CARROT, AN EGG, OR A COFFEE BEAN?
Monday, February 18, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Jen, I cannot believe I found you and your story about the carrot, egg and coffee bean, it is so timely! Wade passed away in September so the carrot and I were one - soft, mushy with tears; the grief is still palpable but with the help of family and friends I guess I am in the "egg" stage, looking to become a coffee bean over time. If I never adequately thanked you for your kindness and friendship (especially when Wade was diagnosed with ALS on Valentine's Day '97) know that I am eternally and blessedly thankful for your kindness, friendship and support. (PS - Mon congrats on marriage, beautiful little one, and happy life!)
Janet How do I get a hold of you????
I have been looking for you on Facebook for years. Wondering about Wade and I saw David years ago at a bar in Houston! He caught me up on everyone. I cannot imagine the pain you have gone through and are going through.
I really don't do facebook - except for Wade, David and his wife's pages... Not that saavy! I work in La Grange; email is: janet.carrigan@co.fayette.tx.us. David told me he saw you, and I guess that was years ago - he and his family are living in Austin now.
Post a Comment