Pages

Wednesday, January 30, 2008



STUCK TRUCK

So Monday I am at work and the snow is coming down ALL day. It is beautiful until you have to drive in it. It is lovely until you realize you don't have 4 wheel drive and you don't have any sandbags in the back of the pickup. I plan to leave at 4 so at least if I slide off the road one of the 400 employees at Best Friends will see me and can pull me out or give me a ride. This is when I really really appreciate the fact that I genuinely like everyone I work with and I go out of my way to be nice to everyone no matter what department or job; I like them all. You never know when you will be stuck at the side of the road just shy of 8 months pregnant, legs hurting, feet fat and freezing, hair wet and matted on your head just hoping for someone anyone to save you…

In addition, I have a yoga class to teach at 5:30 p.m. and I am tired. Not worked all day tired but worked all day, forgot to take my meds, carrying around a 20 pound, nutrient sucking, energy stealing, stamina draining, bundle of joy that is now playing havoc on my back, legs and circulatory system tired. I am determined however not to cancel the damn yoga class. So out to the truck I go, scraping windows, warming car, getting in car, backing car out, sliding, sliding, correcting, sliding, correcting, sliding, cursing, cursing, sliding. Yes, I slid sideways until I hit the pavers that line our slanted driveway. The forward and back motion doesn’t help because my tires get stuck in the previous tire marks and I slide right back to the pavers. Getting out of the car, walking back to office and asking coworker for a ride home, getting yoga clothes out of truck, scraping co-workers window and getting a ride home. Yoga did make me feel better I must say although it was the first week in 31 weeks where I wasn’t able to keep up with my own class!

Next day was sunny and beautiful and I asked the maintenance guys who were pulling a car next door out if they could pull my truck out. The truck they had was spinning its wheels and couldn’t move my little truck. Because of the way the truck was against the pavers they either had to move the pavers so they wouldn’t hurt my axle OR get the big tractor snow plow and lift the trucks back end out. I guess they decided that using the tractor sounded much better than digging out 25 pavers that weigh 75 pounds each - dry. From the photo it looks like they are going to lift it out with the snow plow end. They don't. They tie a rope around the other scoopy end and pull and lift with that.

No comments: