Pages

Sunday, July 01, 2007

Carry your POOP out? What kinda hike is this?

Daron and I are newbies when it comes to hiking. During orientation we discovered we had to carry everything out (which we figured) we just didn't think about carrying OUR poop out. Sure we carry our dog poop our of parks, neighbors yards etc. but when it comes to our own poop...never. Anyhow, we prayed for constipation and were very happy when the only bodily function required during our 6 hour trip up and down the river was urinating. Since we walked IN the river it made it extra easy (wink wink). Thank goodness for the high water areas since as you can see from the photos there were no trees to squat behind. We rented neoprene socks, special shoes and walking sticks. I didn't think I would use the stick but it came in handy on the rocks that were slippery. There were over 15 of us (mostly Best Friends people and spouses) that went which made it even more fun. All of us said on the hike "We live here, how cool is that?" The Zion Narrows (which is the hike we took) is a 35 mile drive from our house. Yea, we're cool.

I apologize for all the times I said Daron didn't like to hike. He actually likes to go on hikes that are adventurous and exciting. My parents sent us some money for our wedding anniversary which came in handy when we bought our camelbaks. One bag carried 2 liters the other 3 liters. The $140 bucks we paid for the camelbak backpacks was well worth it. We drank all our water and could have used some more! We headed down the trail at 10:30 and returned about 4:15. Daron was my hero because he carried this guys backpack the last mile. The poor guy fell and scraped his head all up. The first people on the "scene" asked if anyone had a first aid kit and I did!!! It was little but I was able to put some antibiotic ointment on his head which helped stop the bleeding. The guys pack weighed at least 50 pounds and it was really awkward. Going over slippery rocks with a pack that is a good 12 inches higher than your head and wobbly is not good. Besides the metal frame broke when the guy fell. Our friend Brian stayed back with us and was willing to take the pack if Daron twisted his ankle. Brian (and I) were praying Daron made it safe. I didn't want him to hurt himself and Brian didn't want to carry that damn pack! Ha. He made if (of course - he's superman) and we were all glad to get back to the rest of the group and more importantly the cold beers in the cooler. Daron and I had a great meal in Springdale after the hike. I had scallops and a salad and Daron had a pizza. Needless to say, we slept like rocks (no pun intended) when we got home!





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Prodigious! Dad

Kris_Ash_Cos said...

Go Daron! It's so beautiful there.