Pages

Sunday, January 14, 2007











Beautiful Babies from Lebanon.


Daron and I took "Lucky" and "Freida" for an outing (aka. home visit). These two dogs survived a war in Lebanon, a plane ride to Las Vegas from Lebanon, and a 4 hour car ride from Las Vegas to Kanab, Utah. They are all so affectionate and happy to see people. The only shelter in Lebanon was becoming over run with animals when the war broke out and people were forced to leave animals behind. Luckily, the Lebanon volunteers were able to offer sanctuary to some of the homeless animals. Best Friends offered to take 150 dogs because the shelter had damage from a bomb and the farm area they fled to weren’t happy about the noise. In fact, they threatened to poison all of the dogs. So we said we could take 150 dogs and they quietly asked if we could take 150 cats. Yikes! Best Friends ran a fund raising campaign specifically for the dogs (and now cats!) to come to America. The dogs have been in outdoor dog runs with shelter and hay and toys since August. The problem now is that it is cold. Lebanon dogs aren’t used to the cold plus Best Friends believes dogs should not be kept outside 24/7 (all of our other 600 dogs have indoor/outdoor runs with heated floors in the winter and AC in the summer). The dog caregivers have been putting all 86 dogs into separate kennels overnight. The first time they did this it took four hours. Now, they have it down to about two hours. Needless to say, they are looking for people to take the dogs on sleepovers or at least outings. I remembered Freida from a previous visit to “Little Lebanon” nd was drawn to her. She looks like a coyote because of her markings. I asked Kristen about her and she said Freida was tortured. I couldn’t believe it she as so brave, friendly and outgoing. Her skin looked like her entire body had been doused with acid or set on fire. I didn’t want to know so I didn’t ask any further. Her kennel mate is “Lucky” and he is dashing. Tall, thin, smart and as Daron and I found out a pillow biter and blanket puller! He definitely has been a house pet and he had begging in the kitchen down to a science. They spent a lot of the time sniffing all the corners and furniture (our dogs Rodeo and Zeena were kept outside during the visit). They LOVED the raw hides and both settled next to one another to chew chew chew. Freida’s little tail started wagging and they didn’t growl or guard their treats at all. We hated to take them back to “Little Lebanon” although they are well taken care of there nothing can take the place of a warm loving home. Little Freida sat in front with me on the way back and would touch me with her paw when I stopped petting her. I looked in the review mirror and saw Lucky stretched out on the back seat – eyes closed. Within those two hours they were starting to relax. If anyone would like to adopt Lucky or Freida let me know. We do make travel arrangements for our dogs. I would love to adopt them but Kanab City Law only allows TWO dogs per household. Criminal isn’t it?

No comments: